TRIPOLI, Sept. 20 (Xinhua) -- The Libyan Government on Monday announced the resumption of flights between Libya and Malta after more that two years of suspension due to armed conflict in Libya.
"We officially announce the resumption of flights between Tripoli and Valletta for the first time in more than two years," Mohammad Shuhubi, the Libyan Minister of Transportation, told a press conference in the Mitiga International Airport of the capital Tripoli.
"The resumption of the flights came following the signing of an agreement between Libya and Malta earlier this month. There will be four flights per week between the two countries," Shuhubi said.
The flights between Libya and Malta are the first flights from Libya to Europe to be resumed in several years.
On Sunday, the Libyan Government announced that flights between Libya and Egypt's Cairo will be resumed later this month.
Libya has been suffering insecurity and armed conflict ever since the fall of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi's regime in 2011.
The UN-sponsored Libyan Political Dialogue Forum (LPDF) in February selected a new executive authority of a unity government and a presidency council, ending years of political division in the country.